Sunday 23 November 2014

A Kraft Christmas triptych

It must be hard to be a weather forecaster.  Sometimes I think their job is along the lines of gazing into a crystal ball.  This time of the year, in my area of the world, checking the weather forecast becomes a nightly routine.  You want to know what to  expect tomorrow, whether it's because you have to go to work, leave on a trip, or simply go shopping.  Last year by this time we already had two feet of snow and bitterly cold weather.  So far this year we've had about six inches of snow and, while it's cold, it's not bitter.  Believe me when I say I'm not complaining.

The problem is with the forecasts.  We had to get our daughter and  her family to the Calgary airport on Saturday morning.  The forecast was for freezing rain followed by snowfall.  An hour and a half on the freeway in that type of weather was a daunting prospect, but family does what it must for family.  Saturday morning was clear, no rain, no freezing rain and no snow.  Again, I'm not complaining but we worried (a lot) for nothing.  Really, it's hit and miss with those forecasts and sometimes I wonder if they need a brand new crystal ball in the weather offices since their current one appears to be broken.

I like Kraft paper.  It has a colour all its own---something like a brown paper bag but nicer.  When the challenge from the Card Concept came along, a Kraft Christmas, I was delighted.  Making Kraft the "star of the show" was going to be fun.

I also love a nice triptych.   Being an avid photographer, I've mounted a number of photos in the form of a triptych because it can really make a statement.  And so my layout follows the sketch in the Just Add Ink challenge.

I decided to use the "Merry" from the thinlits that retired last year.  I love the script and thought it would make a great sentiment coupled with the "Christmas" from the Endless Wishes stamp set.  I used a base of Naturals Ivory and layers of Kraft paper and Cherry Cobbler.  The Kraft strips are cut with the retired Lace Ribbon Border punch which makes a festive pattern against their mat of Cherry Cobbler.


For more cards using Kraft as the star of the show, check out The Card Concept.  My card would be considered "Clean and Layered".

For more cards with a triptych layout, check out Just Add Ink.

     Stamps used:  Endless Wishes
     Papers used:   Naturals Ivory, Kraft, Cherry Cobbler, Gumball Green (retired)
     Inks used:   Cherry Cobbler
     Tools and Embellishments:  Basic Pearl Jewels, Stampin' Trimmer, Expressions
          Thinlits Dies (retired), Big Shot, Holly die, Lace Ribbon Border Punch, Snail
          Adhesive, Tombo glue

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful card! Love the color combination:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shannon. Kraft is a great "neutral".

      Delete
  2. This is just so pretty and I love your background! Such a festive holiday card. Thank you so much for playing along with us at The Card Concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim. It was fun thinking "Kraft" for Christmas.

      Delete
  3. Heidi I love the detailed yet natural look of the punched border over the vivid Cherry Cobler. It makes a delightful festive card! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Kim. This border is just one of the many retired items I can't bring myself to sell. It really is beautiful, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. Oh, this is lovely, Heidi! The sentiment really packs a punch, and the punched borders make a fabulous background. I'm a lover of kraft, too; it's beautiful, isn't it? Thanks for joining in the fun at Just Add Ink this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Christine. I hadn't thought to combine the die-cut sentiment with a stamped sentiment before but love the way it turned out. The first of many.

      Delete
  5. nice. I didn't get those thinlits. I didn't think I'd be interested in them. But now that I have the Noel and Joy from the wreath collection, I wish I had gotten those thinlits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ter. They had those thinlits in the clearance bin for a while but they aren't there now. The way they run the clearance bin, it will probably come up again. I see things come and go and come back again.

      Delete

I welcome your comments or questions.