Friday 9 October 2015

Boo!

I love the Owl Builder Punch!  It will be a very sad day when it retires.  There are so many uses for it, especially around Hallowe'en when the little owl can become as cute or as spooky as can be.

For this card I've mixed the old with the new.  My good old friend, the Owl Builder Punch is, of course, the old.  The new?  Well, that is the Among the Branches stamp set along with its matching embossing folder, Woodland.  To really make the branches and trees of the embossing folder stand out as well as to set the atmosphere, I used my brayer to spread the beautiful retired Certainly Celery ink onto the inside of the folder.  Once I had run my paper through the Big Shot, the embossed piece of Whisper White had transformed into a slightly spooky grove of trees.  With some sponging around the perimeter using Basic Black ink, it became more spooky.

My little owl was cut from Basic Black cardstock and transformed from the normally cute little fellow into a bat-like creature with glowing red eyes (thank you, Red Glimmer paper).  I needed a spot for my monster-owl to perch and so stamped the branch from the Among the Branches set on Whisper White using the Basic Gray Archival ink and then fussy cut it once it was dry.

My final touch was to cut out the letters B-O-O using my Little Letters thinlits and scraps of Tangelo Twist, Whisper White and Pear Pizzazz cardstock.  Some sponging with Basic Black transformed the otherwise crisp, clean letters into something suitable for my scene.

My base cardstock is Basic Black with a layer of Tangelo Twist.  I mounted everything on that and my new Hallowe'en card was born---a perfect mixture of old and new.


I've entered my card into the SUO challenge which is all about punch art.

I've also entered my card into the Addicted to Stamps & More challenge because it fits perfectly into the photo inspiration.

10 comments:

  1. This is absolutely adorable!! Love the use of the Owl Builder Punch with the Woodland folder- perfect for this time of year!! Thanks for playing along with us at SUO Challenges :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Julie. I love that Owl Builder punch and hope it stays current for many years to come. That Woodland folder is lots of fun to use, too. Much more versatile than I initially thought.

      Delete
  2. Such a cute owl and I love your background! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at ATSM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute card. Love the woodland embossing folder. Cute take on the owl. TFS! Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic sponging and atmospheric details and the punched owl is perfect. So glad youjoined in the challenge at SUO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so very much, Julia. I appreciate your lovely comments.

      Delete
  5. This is SO fun! I love the colors you chose and the Woodland folder in the background! Super spooky! Thanks for playing along with the punch art SUO Challenge this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Connie. That little owl works with almost anything. It's so versatile. Mind you, I'm finding that the Woodland folder is extremely versatile as well.

      Delete

I welcome your comments or questions.