Friday 23 March 2018

Peace - CAS Christmas March Challenge

I was happily surprised to see the creation of this CAS Christmas Challenge.  CAS is one of my favourite styles.  Of course it helps to enter a number of Christmas Challenges throughout the year because it takes away the pressure of having to create a whole bunch of Christmas cards just before the deadline.  That, unfortunately, has too often happened in past years.

This month's challenge for the CAS Christmas Challenge is all about Holly.  I was surprised to see that I've kept a number of lovely retired stamp sets, all of which have various images with holly.  I even found a gorgeous stencil of holly and berries.  Making the card was far easier than deciding which image I would use.

In the end I chose the lovely sprig from the lovely (but retired) Watercolor Winter stamp set.  Instead of using the second stamp to add the colours, however, I decided to hand-colour the leaves and berries.  After adding colour with my Prismacolor Pencils, I used a paper stub and Gamsol to blend the colours.  Then, to add some dimension, I shaded in a very light shadow of green in areas, following the form of the image.  When it was completely dry, I added a touch of clear Wink of Stella to the highlight on each berry and also to the shadow behind the image.

For my sentiment, I turned to the retired Peaceful Wreath set and used the word "Peace", stamped in Green. 



I'm entering this card in the CAS Christmas March Challenge - Holly


And also in the Merry Monday #282 - Inspirational Photo Challenge

11 comments:

  1. I love the bright colours you've used on your holly and berries. Great job with your prisma pencils, gamsol and stump. This is technique that I need to learn. You have done a great job Heidi! Also love the font of the Peace ... it just goes with this holly stamp so perfectly. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your holly leaves and berries are so pretty, Heidi! Beautiful blend of greens for the leaves using Gamsol. The light shadow of green and the highlight of berries add some dimension and make them look realistic. Thank you for sharing your beautiful card at CAS Christmas. Looking forward to seeing your card(s) next month! Hideko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, so many holly options and you chose a beautiful stamp image. Wonderful colouring and shading to give your holly dimension. The yellow background highlights them perfectly. Great to not only see your joining us at CAS Christmas Holly challenge, but to read your excitement about it. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. CAS perfection Heidi...love it!! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Merry Monday!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This conveys Peace, love how you have done this.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely CAS card. I love the image you chose and your coloring looks great. Thanks for joining us at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty card Heid! There's a lot to be said for simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful CAS card, Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderfully CAS, I love the simplicity of your holly and your sentiment they compliment each other perfectly. Thanks for joining us at CAS Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful holly card, Heidi! You've colored it beautifully and the framing is perfect! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Classic, classy and cas. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments or questions.