Wednesday 31 October 2018

HLS November Watercolour Challenge - With a Twist of "Get Well"

A "get well" card can have almost any image.  That makes them very versatile.  All they should really have in common is that they should be "up beat".  You don't want to depress the very person for whom you're making a get well card, do you?


I fell in love with the Lilypad Lake stamp set when I first saw it.  The images lend themselves to all sorts of cards.  In this case I've used the heron and the lilypad for my get well card.  I stamped the image onto a piece of Shimmery White cardstock using pigment black ink for the heron and the Antique Linen Distress ink for the lilypad.  I knew I'd be watercolouring over them and didn't want my inks to run.  The heron was easy.  I used my clear Sakura Glaze pen to entirely cover the white of the heron.  Then I coloured the lilypad and flower using my Stampin' Up! Blends.  I also used the Sakura Glaze pen to create ripple lines where I intended to have water.

Once all that was totally dry, I want to work with my watercolour inks.  I used Pacific Point and Coastal Cabana for the water, applying it across the paper with a broad brush.  Then I used the same brush (cleaned) to apply the Flirty Flamingo and Crushed Curry across the sky.  I sprayed the card with my Ink Blending Solution to move some of the colours around and then added a bit more of the Coastal Cabana and Flirty Flamingo in places.  Again, I sprayed it with my Ink Blending Solution, moving the colours into each other more and, while the inks were still "mobile", moved some of the Crushed Curry and Flirty Flamingo into the water, like a reflection.

I've never tried this technique before but LOVE the results.  Of course the Shimmery White cardstock added a certain something to the whole as well.  It didn't take long for everything to dry and then I took a soft tissue and "cleaned" the heron and lilies.  Once I attached it to a base of Call Me Clover cardstock, I just stamped the sentiment from the Beautiful You set and the card was done.


Our winner for this challenge will receive a $20 coupon to spend at the shop! Check out all the details HERE.

IF YOU USE STAMPS BY HAPPY LITTLE STAMPERS AND YOU ARE OUR RANDOM WINNER, YOUR PRIZE WILL BE DOUBLED!

Hope you'll pop over to see what my Team Mates have created and come join us this month at our Happy Little Stampers November Watercolour Challenge with the optional twist of "get well".

6 comments:

  1. I can see why you love the results you achieved here Heidi - this card is utterly gorgeous! Love it.
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly beautiful Heidi. Amazing scene. Everything just blends together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for a great detailed description of how you made the card. I am deeply impressed by the water and sky that you have obtained. I also love the delicate flow of color from the lily. Wonderful watercolor
    Hugs,
    BozenA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your colourful background! Thanks for the detailed “how to”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply beautiful, Heidi. I love the scene you created. xx

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments or questions.