Wednesday 23 July 2014

You Make Me Happy -- two challenges

I love Melon Mambo.  I wear a lot of things that are either completely that colour or have that colour in them.  It's a bright and happy colour and I love it.  You'd think, under the circumstances, that I would also use a lot of Melon Mambo in my creations, wouldn't you?  I don't.  I seldom do.  This time, however, I found a colour challenge that actually asks for Melon Mambo.   So I've used it, of course.


I kept the card simple because I wanted to enter it into another challenge, this time for a sketch.  The sketch itself is very simple.  Considering the strong colours plus gold that were part of the colour challenge, however, I  felt that simple would be the best way to go.


I also used a technique that I learned through a video created by Jennifer McGuire.  She shows in her video how to combine a plain shaped framelit or thinlit with a word or other shaped thinlit.  I went a step further (surprised?) and cut a thin oval by layer two ovals down together.  That way when I combined it with the leaves that I chose to put inside, all that would remain in the end would be a thin oval with the leaves strung across and attached to it.  Since I planned to use Gold Foil, it would look like metal.

For my base, I used Basic Black cardstock.  Then a layer of Gold Foil and another layer of Basic Black.  Then I attached the cut-out Gold Foil in the top third of the card.  Then I stamped some of the flowers from the Forever Florals stamp set onto Whisper White using my Memento ink and coloured them using my Melon Mambo and Daffodil Delight Blendabilities.  Then I cut out all the flowers carefully and coloured the centres using my Gold Stampin Dazzle Marker and followed that by putting a bit of Tombo glue in the centres of each flower.  On top of the glue I sprinkled a layer of Gold Stampin Glitter.

While the glue dried, I stamped the sentiment using Versamark ink in the empty area near the top of the oval design and heat embossed it with my Gold embossing powder.  When the glue was dry, I attached all the flowers using Dimensionals.


For more cards using this colour challenge, check out Colour Me...!

For more cards using this sketch challenge, check out CAS(E) this Sketch.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cornelia. What a lovely comment.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Leigh. I appreciate your comment because I always love your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, your card is gorgeous! I love the gold foil on the black! That Melon Mambo flower really pops and I love all your attention to detail on the flowers with the glitter! Thank you so much for sharing your creation with us on Colour Me this week! XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the wonderful comments, Claire. I loved making the card and always enjoy your challenges.

      Delete
  4. What a great card Heidi! I love the gold against the black background and the Melon Mambo and yellow flowers really pop! Thanks for sharing a new technique too - I will have to give this a go sometime. So glad you could join us over at Colour Me...! this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joanne. I really appreciate your comments. I hope you get a chance to try the technique.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful card! You rocked Jennifer's technique and I love how you went further and added the foil to embellish your die cut. Thank you for playing along with us at Colour Me…! this week!

    Julia
    CMCC Design Team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Julia. What wonderful comments! I always enjoy the challenges at Colour Me...!

      Delete

I welcome your comments or questions.