Saturday 20 September 2014

You Make me Happy --- Celebrating the old and the new



I was looking through some of my retired stamps sets and realized that whether they're current or not, some are definitely here to stay.  The gorgeous Fifth Avenue Floral stamp set, for example, just begs to be coloured using our new Blendabilities.  Since the large rose in the set was perfect for a challenge that I wanted to enter, I was happy to oblige.  No further begging required.  This is the sketch for the challenge I had in mind:
PPA220
The colours I used are part of a colour challenge that I thought suited the style of card perfectly:


I stamped the rose four times on pieces of Whisper White using my black Memento ink.  I almost went for a fifth, but I think that would have been overkill.  Certainly it took long enough to fussy cut the four images that I had already stamped.  I cut each image out at a different point so that it would like more three dimensional.  Then I coloured all the images using my Calypso Coral Blendabilities.  The finished product, especially when layered, looked gorgeous.

For my card base I used the Naturals White and then layered a piece of the Blackberry Bliss design from the Park Lane Designer Series paper.  Then I cut a much smaller rectangle of Naturals White and then layered a piece of Blackberry Bliss on top of that, leaving a very narrow frame.  After that I cut a slightly smaller piece of Whisper White and stamped that using two of the splatter stamps from the Gorgeous Grunge stamp set and Blushing Bride ink.  I stamped my sentiment in the bottom right corner using Blackberry Bliss ink and the retired Happy Watercolor stamp set.  I added that to the Naturals White and Blackberry Bliss layers and then centred the smaller rectangle over the Designer Paper.

I glued the first two layers of the rose into place and then used Dimensional to place the third and fourth layers.  Then, to finish of the card, I stamped two feathers from the Four Feathers stamp set onto Summer Starfruit cardstock (retired) using Blackberry Bliss ink.  I cut the feathers using the matching framelit and then glued them into place just under the bottom layer of the rose.


For more cards using this sketch, check out Pals Paper Arts.

For more cards using these colours, check out ColourQ.







8 comments:

  1. This is the second of the same color challenge combined with the PPA sketch challenge that I have seen today... this is very appealing! Really appreciate you playing along with the PPA this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katy. I noticed that, too. When I was making my card, there was no other one and then when I checked after linking, I saw the one before me had done the same thing with the two challenges. I chose to leave mine posted anyway, but wouldn't have made the card had I realized that it would be so similar.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous card, Heidi! That flower is beautiful all layered up like that. The fussy cutting was well worth it! Thanks for joining us at the Pals Paper Arts this wee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Dawn. I love that flower. There are some beautiful retired sets that I'm rediscovering because they work well with the Blendabilities.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That flower is so gorgeous, and I love it with the other bright and crisp colors. Great card! Thanks for sharing with us at Pals Paper Arts this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy. I was surprised at how well the colours worked together.

      Delete
  4. WOW....WOW!!!! Your coloring is beautiful but the way you layered it is just stunning! Great job and many thanks for playing this week...super-de-duper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Susan, you can come and comment any time. Thank you for the confidence-boost.

      Delete

I welcome your comments or questions.